Searching for a new water heater to purchase for your home and personal needs is quite a tedious and challenging task. It has to be easy to use and install, can provide continuous hot water in multiple applications and for large volumes of water, and more importantly, it should come with great features at a reasonable price.
Choosing an energy and cost-efficient electric tankless water heater will not only provide you with unlimited supply of hot water with ease and convenience of using it, but it also helps you cut costs on electric bills and repairs and it is also a good investment as it can improve the selling value of your home in case you intend to sell it in the future. These tankless or demand-type water heaters are unlike the conventional tank-style water heaters because it can deliver hot water more efficiently, whenever and wherever it is needed. It does not require a large volume of water to hold and heat in a tank, but instead, it can provide a continuous and simultaneous supply of hot water in the household for use in the shower, kitchen, sink/faucets, and other home appliances.
Below are our compilation of the best electric tankless water heaters along with their pros and cons. There is also a detailed comparison for each regarding features, controls, usage, size, and ease of use, delivery capacity, controls, power requirements, and customer reviews/feedbacks.
- 1 Bosch Tronic 3000 T
- 2 EcoSmart ECO 27
- 3 Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus 24 kW
- 4 Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus 36 KW
- 5 Rheem RTEX-18
Bosch Tronic 3000 T
- – Size is only 17.5” x 14.5” x 17.5”
- – It is compact and can fit into any room.
- – It is wall-mounted and can be placed either vertically or horizontally.
- – Considered a customer’s favorite and can provide instant hot water whenever and wherever needed.
- – Easy control of water temperature with just a dial.
- – The tank is well insulated and can provide 94% thermal efficiency.
- – Temperature range is 65°F-145°F.
- – Comfortable and safe to use with temperature and pressure relief valve.
- – Limited availability of hot water due to its size.
- – It requires a skilled handyman for installation since it has to be hired-wired to the electrical system.
- – Storage capacity is small when mounted horizontally. It may be inconvenient to use for some who require hot water of not less than 5 gallons at a time.
- – Because of its small size, it may not be able to provide a continuous and simultaneous supply of hot water in the household.
- – It is best used in a bathroom faucet or along with another water heater to deliver a more abundant and hotter supply of water.
Still considered one of the best and a customer’s favorite, Bosch Tronic 3000 T is a point-of-use electric water heater. Not tankless, but it comes with a 7-gallon capacity mini-tank which can still provide water to a sink or appliance and can still deliver hot water whenever and wherever needed. Due to its compact size, it is best used in the kitchen and bathroom faucet, RV’s, boat or even in an outdoor kitchen.
It is loved by many due to its affordable price of less than $200 with a 6-year warranty on the unit and 2-year warranty on parts. It is convenient to use which doesn’t require much of your home space and it also comes with an easy installation process.
EcoSmart ECO 27
- – It comes with a stylish, modern design and is a great space-saver measuring only 17″ H x 17″ W x 3.625″ D.
- – The internal parts are made of copper and stainless steel, making it easy to replace but still efficient and long-lasting.
- – EcoSmart ECO 27 can deliver hot water simultaneously for two showers, two sinks, and a shower, or a dishwasher and sink together.
- – It can heat 3 gallons of water per minute in a 37°F water temperature and 6 gallons per minute in higher water temperatures at warmer climates.
- – It is budget-friendly as compared the usual conventional water heater. The modulating control system allows for a reduction in water cost by half through adjustment of water pressure and power usage for a certain delivered amount of water.
- – The best part is the lifetime warranty it offers which can give consumers assurance of lifetime repair and maintenance.
- – According to some reviews, EcoSmart ECO 27 is unable to heat the water properly because the input water falls to 37°F for an extended period. As a result, it can’t deliver simultaneous hot water supply.
- – Some reviewers also state, an additional cost to hire an electrician to check on the unit’s electrical requirements. It usually needs 200 Amp service for your home and 40 Amp double pole breakers to work properly.
EcoSmart ECO 27 is an excellent choice for small and medium households in cold countries with a great need for an ample supply of hot water. It is necessary though for someone to know plumbing/electrical requirements and input water temperature to better operate the unit. At a price of less than $500 and a unit which can handle 3 to 5 individuals in a household, this is a good choice for your budget.
Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus 24 kW
- – The unit is compact at a size of 21.7″ x 20.1″ x 9.6″, which can fit anywhere in your household.
- – Works quietly/discreetly.
- – Budget-friendly. It conserves energy by using only 15-20% less energy to heat the water.
- – It can produce 2.7 gallons of water per minute while at higher inlet temperature, it can heat up to 5 gallons of water per minute and automatically adjusts to meet the demand.
- – This unit can deliver simultaneous hot water to one shower and a sink or two showers and a sink at the same time with a temperature that can be set at a range of 86°F – 140°F and capped at 109°F to adjust the heat.
- – Some reviewers have noted that it takes 20 to 90 seconds for the hot water to be produced. Others have said, it cannot entirely provide hot water for the whole house especially in colder climates or colder temperature. This is due to the limitation in water output when there is a larger need for hot water.
- – Installation is difficult for a typical homeowner and would require the service of a professional electrician which can add to cost to your budget. The unit also requires 150 Amp electric service and upgrades which are necessary from time to time.
Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus 24 kW is considered one of the most popular in the market. It is a combination of technology and German engineering designed to change conventional water heaters. Which can provide hot water without disruption in warm climates, however, it cannot provide a simultaneous supply of hot water in shallow inlet temperatures. At a price of around $700 without installation fee, 7-year warranty against leakage and 3-year parts replacement, this can be a good choice for large households.
Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus 36 KW
- – It is compact and wall-mounted at a size of 14.52″ x 16.54″ x 4.61″.
- – The unit works discreetly, working silently and without noise.
- – It is budget-friendly. It’s a good energy saver and can operate at 99% efficiency with the ability to cut the household cost of at least $30 monthly or even more when used with low-flow shower heads and sink aerators.
- – The unit can provide hot water equivalent to two showers and a sink running at the same time up to four hot showers and a sink. That translates to 3.7 gallons of hot water per minute up to 7.5 GPM with better inlet temperatures.
- – For homeowners with little to no experience with electrical requirements, a licensed electrician may be necessary upon installation since the unit requires upgrades and a 300 AMP electric service and two 50 AMP double pole breaker which means additional cost to your budget.
- – According to reviews, this unit has a known issue with build up/clogs until it stops working. It is, therefore, necessary to install filters to remove minerals and substances that can possibly cause the build-up otherwise maintenance covered by a warranty may be necessary from time to time.
Well-loved by customers, Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus 36 KW is an excellent choice for larger homes with high demand for hot water and to those that require simultaneous and multiple uses of hot water in showers and appliances. It is built to last long same it’s smaller model, the 24 KW, with a 7-year warranty against leakage and 3 years for parts replacement. Reviews are also from satisfied customers in its work efficiency and its ability to help cut monthly household costs.
- – Stylish, easy to install and compact at a size of 4″ x 15″ x 19”.
- – It is 99.8% energy efficient which helps cut your monthly bill’s cost with the ability to produce 4.4 GPM, just enough for a couple of hot showers and use with some home appliances.
- – The unit has a digital temperature control which allows for water temperature adjustment by 1°F at a time between 80°F to 140°F.
- – Some customer reviews stated the need to call an electrician or the company’s technical support due to a minor difficulty interpreting the installation diagrams because it is presented upside down.
- – There were also minor reports of flickering of the dimmable LED light bulb when the heater starts.
- – An upgrade is also necessary for the unit to function properly when you have a 200 AMP household service.
Rheem RTEX-18 is considered an excellent choice for an electric tankless water heater. With a price of around $450, it is comparable to all other units and has a lifetime warranty for repair, replacement, and maintenance. It is energy efficient, easy to install and can be used on-point or as a water heater for the whole house.
Having a comparison of the different make and model of the most popular tankless water heater in the market can help you choose the most efficient unit, however, it is still best that you do your own research and read reviews from actual users. Good points to consider are your water inlet temperature, the unit’s features, electrical requirements, warranty, and it’s ability to cut the cost of your monthly bills while efficiently delivering hot water supply simultaneously and as needed. Given the right choice, a tankless water heater can be very helpful and can reduce most of your home and personal inconveniences.